BBQ Tempeh Pizza
A perfect Friday night feast, spelt based pizza with BBQ tempeh and plenty of vegetables.
Makes enough for 1 large pizza for 2 to share.
45 minutes prep and cooking time.
- 1 block of tempeh (classic or garlic and herb)
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 red onion sliced
- 2 peppers chopped/sliced
- 1 small courgette chopped/sliced
- Handful of fresh basil leaves
- BBQ sauce
- Olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 Cups of spelt flour
- 2 tbsp dairy free butter
- Italian seasoning
- 1-2 Tsp chilli flakes
1. Melt the coconut oil in a pan on low to medium heat.
2. Slice your tempeh to 1/2cm thick and place in the frying pan with the oil
3. Brush the tempeh with the BBQ sauce as you cook, 2-3 mins each side
4. Once the tempeh is cooked, take out and leave to marinade with the sauce
5. To make the pizza base, preheat the oven to 180.
6. Add the flour to a large bowl add the Italian seasoning and butter and use your fingers to mix to breadcrumbs, slowly add water and mix till you have a dough.
7. Flour your work surface and roll out your dough to the size of your pizza tray, add it to the oven and let it cook for roughly 10 mins
8. Whilst the base is cooking, use the same pan you fried your tempeh in and add your sliced veg, add garlic and cook till slightly soft
9. Take out the base when it starts to get crisp, put a layer of BBQ sauce or Tomato sauce on, add your vegetables and the sliced BBQ tempeh, add vegan cheese at this stage if you wish and place back in the oven for a further 5-10 mins
10. Once done, sprinkle with fresh basil leaves and serve